"Shrek" Beats "Sex" and "Persia" for the No. 1 Box-Office Spot! 


Our favorite jolly green ogre won another weekend at the box-office while Carrie, Miranda, Charlotte, and Samantha race to the No. 2 spot against Prince Dastan.

"Shrek Forever After" took in $55.7 million over Memorial Day weekend, putting the DreamWorks Animation flick to the No. 1 spot for a second-straight weekend. So far, the film has raised its 10-day domestic total to $145.5 million.

Meanwhile, Disney's "Prince of Persia" debuted at No. 2 with $37.8 million, just a tad over "Sex and the City 2's" $37.1 million box-office take. For now, the girls must settle at No. 3 until final numbers are released Tuesday.

Here's the estimated Top 10 box office films for Memorial Day weekend beginning Friday, May 28th:

1. "Shrek Forever After," $55.7 million.

2. "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time," $37.8 million.

3. "Sex and the City 2," $37.1 million.

4. "Iron Man 2," $20.6 million.

5. "Robin Hood," $13.6 million.

6. "Letters to Juliet," $7.3 million.

7. "Just Wright," $2.7 million.

8. "Date Night," $2.3 million.

9. "MacGruber," $1.9 million.

10. "How to Train Your Dragon," $1.5 million.

[ 10 comments ] ( 303 views )   |  permalink  |   ( 2.9 / 969 )
Guillermo del Toro Leaves "The Hobbit" 


Guillermo del Toro has announced he is leaving "The Hobbit" after spending the last two years developing the J.R.R. Tolkien adaptation. He's simply frustrated with the production's repeated delays. But del Toro would continue to serve as one of the co-writers of the screenplays along with Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, and Phillippa Boyens.

Here's del Toro's explanation of why he's leaving from theonering.net.:

“In light of ongoing delays in the setting of a start date for filming “The Hobbit,” I am faced with the hardest decision of my life”, says Guillermo. “After nearly two years of living, breathing and designing a world as rich as Tolkien’s Middle Earth, I must, with great regret, take leave from helming these wonderful pictures. I remain grateful to Peter, Fran and Philippa Boyens, New Line and Warner Brothers and to all my crew in New Zealand. I’ve been privileged to work in one of the greatest countries on earth with some of the best people ever in our craft and my life will be forever changed. The blessings have been plenty, but the mounting pressures of conflicting schedules have overwhelmed the time slot originally allocated for the project. Both as a co-writer and as a director, I wlsh the production nothing but the very best of luck and I will be first in line to see the finished product. I remain an ally to it and its makers, present and future, and fully support a smooth transition to a new director”.


Now, the stuff.co is reporting that Jackson may step in to direct "The Hobbit" "if it becomes the only way to ensure the US$150 million (NZ$219m) film is made after the sudden departure of director Guillermo del Toro."

Here's a neat snapshot of the long road to "The Hobbit" courtesy of stuff.com:

2003: The Lord of Rings trilogy earns US$2.91 billion (NZ$4.2 b) at the box office

December 2007: New Line Cinema and MGM announce that Jackson and Fran Walsh will be executive producers of The Hobbit, a two-part prequel to The Lord of the Rings, to be largely shot in Wellington. Tentative start date on filming is 2009.

April 2008: Guillermo del Toro joins as director and co-screenwriter with Jackson, Walsh and Philippa Boyens.

July 2009: Jackson says The Hobbit still technically has to get "the green light" from the studios and has no budget.

November 2009: MGM, US$3.7 billion (NZ$5.4b) in debt, is put up for sale.

March 2010: Del Toro says studios are considering making the film in 3-D.

April 2010: The 23rd James Bond film, another MGM project, is postponed indefinitely.

Last week: While promoting the film Splice , of which he is an executive producer, del Toro says he has been in a "tangled negotiation" with The Hobbit because of problems with MGM.

And then del Toro quit.

[ 14 comments ] ( 396 views )   |  permalink  |   ( 3 / 894 )
Win Prizes from "Sex and the City 2" and "Prince of Persia!" Good Luck! 


Thanks to our friends at Warner Bros. and Walt Disney Pictures, you can enter to win prizes from the biggest movies this Memorial Day weekend.



For "Sex and the City 2," winner will get:

*** 4 SATC Martini glasses
*** 4 SATC shirts
*** SATC compact mirrors
*** SATC nail files



For "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time," winner will get:

*** a cool "Prince of Persia" T-shirt

HERE'S HOW TO ENTER:

Simple, just email me at manny@mannythemovieguy.com or by clicking here and "TELL ME WHY YOU DESERVE THE MOVIE LOOT!" The best entry will be chosen on Thursday, June 3rd.

GOOD LUCK AND HAVE A GREAT MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND!




HERE'S MORE INFO ON THE FILMS:

"SEX AND THE CITY 2" -- CLICK HERE FOR MY MOVIE REVIEW

In Theaters: May 27th, 2010

Genres: Comedy, Drama, Romance, Sequel and Adaptation

MPAA: R for some strong sexual content and language.

Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte and Miranda take another bite out of the Big Apple -- and beyond.

Cast & Crew

Starring:

Sarah Jessica Parker
Kim Cattrall
Kristin Davis
Cynthia Nixon
Chris Noth
David Eigenberg
Evan Handler
Jason Lewis
Mario Cantone
Willie Garson
John Corbett

Directed By: Michael Patrick King

"PRINCE OF PERSIA: THE SANDS OF TIME" -- CLICK HERE FOR MY MOVIE REVIEW

Set in the mystical lands of Persia, a rogue prince reluctantly joins forces with a mysterious princess and together, they race against dark forces to safeguard an ancient dagger capable of releasing the Sands of Time - a gift from the gods that can reverse time and allow its possessor to rule the world.

Genres: Action/Adventure, Science Fiction/Fantasy and Adaptation
Running Time: 1 hr. 55 min.
Release Date: May 28th, 2010 (wide)
MPAA Rating: PG-13 for intense sequences of violence and action.
Distributors: Walt Disney Studios Distribution

Cast and Credits
Starring: Jake Gyllenhaal, Gemma Arterton, Ben Kingsley, Alfred Molina, Steve Toussaint
Directed by: Mike Newell
Produced by: Jerry Bruckheimer, Mike Stenson, Chad Oman

[ 12 comments ] ( 667 views )   |  permalink  |   ( 3 / 841 )
Wanna Star in "Footloose" Remake? Check Out the Casting Call!  


"Footloose" the remake has been plagued with various dramas. First, Zac Efron was hired for the remake to be directed by his "High School Musical" helmer Kenny Ortega. Then, the actor dropped out, only to be replaced by Chace Crawford. Then, both Crawford and Ortega dropped out, and now, director Craig Brewer ("Hustle & Flow") is set to helm.

Well, Paramount has announced a casting call and the studio mentioned that production for "Footloose" is set to begin this summer. Are you interested to join the production? If you are, take a look below and GOOD LUCK!

SEEKING MALES 18 OR OLDER TO PLAY HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS IN FOOTLOOSE, SHOOTING SUMMER 2010. MUST HAVE NATURAL RHYTHM AND BE COMFORTABLE DANCING. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE A TRAINED DANCER BUT A QUICK LEARNER.

THE SETTING: The South, Present Day

FOR SELF TAPING INSTRUCTIONS Click Here

TO DOWNLOAD THE SCENE(S) Click Here

TO DOWNLOAD THE CONSENT FORM Click Here

TO DOWNLOAD THE CONTACT FORM Click Here

ALL AUDITIONS SHOULD BE SENT VIA E-MAIL QUICKTIMES TO:

footloosecasting@yahoo.com

Your email must include:

• A scan of your completed Consent Form

• A scan of your completed Contact Form

• Your audition video.

By emailing us information and material, you confirm that you have read and agree to the website’s terms of use and have read and acknowledge this website’s privacy policy.

***DEADLINE: JUNE 9, 2010***

DO NOT send any streaming video links (Vimeo, YouTube, etc.) as we need to be able to download the clip.

If your file is too large for email, we recommend sending it via an auxiliary site like YouSendIt.com

Please contact footloosecasting@yahoo.com with any questions.

Thank you for your interest and participation and we hope you have fun preparing your audition. Break a Leg!

**Please note: If you have already auditioned or submitted yourself, there is no need to do it again. Thank you.**

SOURCE: Collider

[ 9 comments ] ( 253 views )   |  permalink  |   ( 3 / 801 )
James McAvoy to Play Professor X in "X-Men: First Class" 


James McAvoy has been hired to play the role of Charles Xavier in "X-Men: First Class." Previously played by Patrick Stewart in the original "X-Men" films, "First Class" aims for younger viewers and will tell how the professor organizes the X-Men band of mutants to fight the good fight.

Here's the logline of the film:

"X-Men: First Class, following the classic Marvel mythology, charts the epic beginning of the X-Men saga. Before Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr took the names Professor X and Magneto, they were two young men discovering their powers for the first time. Before they were archenemies, they were closest of friends, working together, with other Mutants (some familiar, some new), to stop the greatest threat the world has ever known. In the process, a rift between them opened, which began the eternal war between Magneto’s Brotherhood and Professor X’s X-Men."


Director Matthew Vaughn, the guy who gave us "Kick-Ass," is set to start shooting this summer.

[ 15 comments ] ( 771 views )   |  permalink  |   ( 3 / 859 )

<<First <Back | 448 | 449 | 450 | 451 | 452 | 453 | 454 | 455 | 456 | 457 | Next> Last>>