So after all the reporting about Mel Gibson joining "The Hangover 2," it is now official that the embattled actor is not going to play a tattoo artist for the sequel. Why? Because cast and crew objected to Gibson joining the cast! Director Todd Phillips issued the following:
"I thought Mel would have been great in the movie and I had the full backing of Jeff Robinov and his team. But I realize filmmaking is a collaborative effort, and this decision ultimately did not have the full support of my entire cast and crew."
Aw...now we can just imagine Gibson trying to make fun of himself for the sequel.
But there's good and bad.
First, the good news about Gibson's participation. The embattled actor needs to revive his career and what better way to do that than to poke fun at himself (See Tom Cruise in "Tropic Thunder").
So essentially, Gibson will do a cameo for the film, much like Mike Tyson's memorable appearance in the first "Hangover." Speaking of, it's still unclear whether the former boxer will return for the sequel, but I hope he does.
Gibson will be shooting "on the Warner Bros. lot, where a Bangkok set has been built, and Mel is expected to film his role in two weeks. Then the production moves to Thailand at the end of October" according to a source of the NY Post.
And now, the bad. Heather Graham, who stole our and Ed Helms' hearts as a stripper with a heart of gold will not return! Why? Because her character is not needed! A Warner Bros. rep told E!: "Unfortunately, Heather won't be in the sequel -- the way the story unfolds doesn't allow any room for her character to show up... I don't want to reveal too much of the film, but once you see it you’ll understand."
But at least Helms, Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Justin Bartha, and Ken Jeong are all returning. And they're bringing Gibson with them.
[ 12 comments ] ( 183 views ) | permalink | ( 3 / 498 )
Walt Disney Pictures has announced that "Iron Man 3" will be released May 3, 2013, this after the studio released a statement saying it has acquired distribution rights for "Iron Man 3" and "The Avengers" from Paramount (see press release below). "The Avengers" is scheduled for release May 4, 2012.
This is fine and dandy but I think our appetite for superhero movies is waning. "Iron Man 2" was not as great as the first one, so the big question -- will director Jon Favreau return?
Here's the press release:
BURBANK, Calif. – October 18, 2010 – The Walt Disney Studios, Paramount Pictures and Marvel Studios announced they have reached an agreement under which Paramount will transfer its worldwide marketing and distribution rights to Disney for Marvel Studios’ The Avengers and Iron Man 3. Paramount will remain the worldwide distributor of the upcoming films, Thor and Captain America, as well as the previously released Iron Man and Iron Man 2.
Under terms of the new deal, Disney will pay Paramount $115 million for the transfer of the distribution rights to Iron Man 3 and The Avengers to be paid on the theatrical release dates. These monies will serve as a minimum guarantee against the distribution fees.
“In completing this agreement, Disney will now assume worldwide marketing and distribution of The Avengers and Iron Man 3 and leverage these two highly-anticipated films across the multiple global platforms of The Walt Disney Company,” said Rich Ross, Chairman of The Walt Disney Studios. “We appreciate the tremendous momentum that Paramount established with these iconic Marvel characters and look forward to propelling the brand even further in the coming years.”
“Five years ago, when Paramount and Marvel made our initial deal, both our businesses were in very different places,” said Brad Grey, Chairman & CEO of Paramount Pictures. “We are grateful for the partnership we have had with the terrific Marvel team over these years and proud of the work we have done together. Today, this new agreement is the right deal for Paramount, for Marvel and for Disney. We look forward to working together on Thor and Captain America, and we wish Disney and Marvel the utmost success, in what we know will be a very productive and wide-ranging partnership.”
"Paramount has been a wonderful partner in helping Marvel Studios bring our characters to the big screen,” said Alan Fine, Office of the President, Marvel Worldwide, Inc. “This agreement makes sense now that Marvel is part of The Walt Disney Company.”
Paramount will release Marvel Entertainment’s Thor and Captain America worldwide beginning on May 6 and July 22 of 2011, respectively. The Avengers will be licensed to Epix under Paramount’s existing pay television arrangement.
[ 17 comments ] ( 212 views ) | permalink | ( 3.1 / 456 )
Third time's a charm for Johnny Knoxville and his uninhibited "Jackass" cohorts.
"Jackass 3D" opened with a huge $50 million box-office take, debuting at No. 1 and making it the biggest opening for the franchise. 2002's "Jackass: The Movie" launched with $22.8 million opening while 2006's "Jackass Number Two" debuted with $29 million. (Click here for my movie review of "Jackass 3D." For my fun one-on-one interviews with the entire cast and director Jeff Tremaine, click here)
"Jackass 3D" also set a record for biggest October debut, beating previous record-holder "Scary Movie 3" which opened with $48.1 million.
Landing at No. 2 was Summit's "Red," starring Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, Helen Mirren, John Malkovich, and Mary-Louise Parker. The action comedy sold $22.5 million box-office tickets.
Last two weekends' box-office champ, "The Social Network," slipped to No. 3 with $11 million. So far, the Facebook drama has raised its three-week total to $63.1 million.
In limited release, Clint Eastwood's "Hereafter" starring Matt Damon opened with $231,000 in six theaters while Hilary Swank's "Conviction" opened with $110,000 in 11 theaters.
Here's the estimated Top 10 Box-Office Films for weekend of Oct. 15:
1. "Jackass 3D," $50 million.
2. "Red," $22.5 million.
3. "The Social Network," $11 million.
4. "Secretariat," $9.5 million.
5. "Life as We Know It," $9.2 million.
6. "Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole," $4.2 million.
7. "The Town," $4 million.
8. "My Soul to Take," $3.2 million.
9. "Easy A," $2.7 million.
10. "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps," $2.4 million.
[ 5 comments ] ( 153 views ) | permalink | ( 3.1 / 513 )
New Line president and COO Toby Emmerich, Warner Bros. president and COO Alan Horn, and MGM co-CEO Steve Cooper jointly announced that "the two films based on 'The Hobbit' are now greenlit and will begin principal photography in February 2011, under the direction of Peter Jackson."
Yay? Yeah, but this means that the production must still overcome its labor issue hurdle. The issue lies on the dispute between Jackson and the New Zealand Actors' Equity and SAG. So "The Hobbit" may end up shooting elsewhere but New Zealand which was home to "The Lord of the Rings." Jackson said Warners are looking at five different locations around the world.
SOURCE: HOLLYWOOD REPORTER
[ 10 comments ] ( 246 views ) | permalink | ( 3 / 437 )
Christopher Nolan has made his first big hire for "Batman 3." Tom Hardy, who was very memorable in Nolan's "Inception," is set for a role in the third "Batman" installment.
Just what role? Well, everyone is speculating that it's going to be for a villain role, although, there's no official word yet.
There, just enough to whet our appetites!
[ 12 comments ] ( 202 views ) | permalink | ( 3 / 508 )